Sunday 31 March 2013

The minister's dog

Easter Sunday and it has been an interesting day in the story of Gabi and I.  This morning she was happy sunning herself in the garden (after coming to fetch me for a game of chase) so I decided not to call her in to lock her up whilst I went to my first service. The garden is secure, and I left the back porch open for shelter locking up the rest of the house.  It seemed the natural thing to do though some may think otherwise. When I returned lunchtime all was well.
Later I had 2 services following on – with a bit of time between but not enough to come back to base. It would be a lot longer than any time she had been yet left alone, was it too soon? I took the other option and she came to church with me. She fidgeted at the first – every time people stood to sing she thought she would be taken out for a walk! But settled ok. 
On route to the next service I drive through a large common, we had a bit of time so stopped and went for a walk. The theory was good, Gabi enjoyed it but this was up in the lands still with snow, and melted snow ran in rivulets. Quite early on I slipped and slid through the mud – yes with my tidy preaching clothes, and in the interests of doing a thorough job as I slid down the skirt slid up so it was a damp bum for the rest of the evening!
During the evening service a tired Gabi was very settled and lay down most of the time, even when we have the percussion out. She coped well but I wonder if overloading with new places and people was worse than leaving her to manage a 5-6hr stint alone.  It may have been a Hobson’s and I would still have worried about doing the right thing if it had been the other way around.
In any event we have both survived, had supper and settled for the night, a quiet Monday I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment