Tuesday 12 March 2013

Dog or not?

I am considering whether having a dog to chase off the Black Dog of depression would be a good idea. I live alone and the company would be good for me, I am a dog person 100% when pet options are considered – a pet needs too be big enough to give a decent cwtch (cuddle/hug). A dog would force me to surface, to walk, to feed. Pets are known to be good therapy, but is that a fair reason to inflict myself on one? Is it selfish?
Why does anyone have a pet? I suspect it is always selfish, for company, to placate the kids, sometimes even for a status symbol if it is one of those fashionable types. That doesn’t necessarily stop them being deeply loved and cared for members of the family.
There are practicalities of course, can’t be a puppy as not mentally up to the housetraining, needs to be happy to be left with others if I have to be out all day, and okay if sometimes only gets the garden instead of a full walk.  And I do have a network of people who would help when needed.
A rescue dog – two lost souls helping each other?
Or just a mad idea?

1 comment:

  1. Rhetorical question? I guess that a rescue dog can be a gamble - unless you know his or her past. We have a pair of rescue cats - who are adorable ...

    ReplyDelete