Wednesday 16 January 2013

Impersonating the organised

Last week I was accused of being organised, which I think just goes to show what a good actor I am – or bluffer at least. I am always chasing my tail which since I don’t have one can be a fruitless exercise! My study looks like an explosion in a paper factory, and in my house only the bathroom I think is free of wandering work. 
 Anyway that accusation has come back to mind as I see friends in the job commenting on their facebook statuses (stati?) about tackling their tax returns – deadline end of January. The tax return we were sent in April and I returned in May. Hmm is that a sign that I am organised then?  And when the chasing emails come for the autumn church paperwork I get to glow in the fact that with a little encouragement (and more) from me my churches were all done on time.
So am I organised? Many years ago when I looked much more organised than my housemate suddenly he came across the truth – ‘You are not organised, you just write everything down’.  Some may say that that is what organisation is, but I know that what my friend saw then is why I can give the impression of being organised about my tax return and October returns.  I know how unorganised I am, and that if I don’t do the big things that I will be trouble for not getting done as soon as possible they will be drowned in the sea of paper and totally forgotten when the real deadline comes.
I deal with it, I write it down, because if I don’t ..... I won’t!  And that is what happens with far too many things, until I get one of my periodic attacks of order. That’s when it is time to go and lie done in a darkened room until it passes...

No comments:

Post a Comment