Sunday 27 January 2013

A creative retreat

I have just had 3 days away, a retreat.  Well to me it was, it was a place to be me, not the job, nor even the daughter, sister, auntie that I am in my usual time off stays with family. It was 3 days of fused glass design, 3 days devoted to my hobby.
3 trees waiting for kiln
Does that count as a retreat? I mean it wasn’t a holy retreat with prayer times and quiet reflection on God, actually that would be hard – it so easily drifts into thinking about work and things going on in my churches rather than being a retreat away from them.
What is a retreat for? If it is to have space away, if it is to restore and refresh – then my glass course counts. It was great to go into a safe bubble where there was nothing more to worry about than what to put on the sheet of glass on the bench in front of me. I do feel restored and refreshed – well apart from the fatigue after 3 full, busy days!

'Creation'
So once I sleep it off I will be up and running with new vigour and strength. The first day’s work was ready to come home with me, as was the last item that didn’t need the kiln, but the rest I wait for in eager anticipation, especially the broken bottle sculpture!  And then I will be trying it out in my own kiln...

Beach huts - Etching, engraving and gilding class

But first its back to work, the point of a retreat from normal life is that it is temporary respite and you have to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment