Saturday 14 January 2012

Learning from blisters

First exercising injuries – blisters from new trainers! And a lesson learned for life and ministry – the need to build in expansion space.
On my first solo visit to the gym after induction my ancient trainers showed they were not up for the job so on arriving home I contemplated my options for buying new but cheaply. Being in a rural area with petrol costs and big trip out to shop around I decided to go for the online option where I was able to order a pair in my size for just over a tenner. They very promptly arrived next day and appeared to fit fine, cosy but comfortable, and I wore them all afternoon to break them in without problems.
So today I happily headed for the gym in them. Felt a bit uncomfortable during the session, more so towards the end, and came home to find big blisters.  Having the time and being a curious sort I searched the web for tips and ended up finding out that you should consider running shoes etc that are perhaps half a size bigger than your normal because feet swell with exercise.
So the trainers that fitted at home were too small during the effort of the workout, and, bingo – blisters!  So accepting that it was not just a matter of breaking them in, it was back online to order my size and a half, plus some running socks that are supposed to help avoid blisters.
The current ones will be okay for walking my non-existent dog and such like, but even so I am glad to have learned the lesson on a ten pound sale pair. It is not too expensive a lesson to learn – especially when applied to the rest of life.
Remember the expansion space!
We can think that our life is a cosy fit, but even under the normal stresses of the treadmill we find the friction rubbing until it hurts. And that is before any of the unexpected extras.  To cope we need the extra bit of space, the bit that allows us to handle the stresses without being overwhelmed.
Consider this - If our lives are full then they are actually too full.
And maybe I should think of this sick leave as my blister recovery time, and consider ways to reduce the friction.     

No comments:

Post a Comment