Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilee - What does it mean to you?

Right now there is union flag bunting in every direction, soggy in the rain maybe, but unavoidably there.  The Olympic torch came through the area last week and it started then, but has been breeding!

This is the first time I can recall being this submerged in such depth of patriotism, correction - I do have vague memories of 1981 royal wedding sandwiches in the street, but age 6 I was not in reflective mode.

On the monarchist/republican debate I am very much on that wide and crowded apathetic fence but if forced off the fence would probably lean to the status quo, things have got to be worth the fuss of any change. However today - Jubilee Sunday - I have had to face up to my republican tendancies. Unlike the state church we don't single out 'Elizabeth our Queen' for special focus in public prayers, though regularly praying for those in leadership and positions of influence in our world. Today I did pray for the Queen in our Methodist service which linked to Jubilee but wasn't centred on it. Then in the village Songs of Praise I noted the difference between my approach and the vicar's focus on praising Her Majesty.

Maybe I am uncomfortable with too much royal effusiveness,I am not an Olympic fan either - just not sport aware - but I am fully behind the bunting and street parties. So why the difference?

Well here in Britain we lack a true national day, no independence day, and the saints days are for the individual bits of the United Kingdom. The best chance we have on an annual basis is Bonfire night and that is just a touch complicated. It has been good to celebrate ourselves and our communities, whether that was crowds on the high street waiting for the brief passing of a flame, or marking the 60 years of Elizabeth's reign.

I have seen communities gather together for special events, networking different groups, giving a focus for morale in difficult times.  Now this is in rural England - I can't comment on other contexts, but see it as having been good for us around here.  Though I will still remind people that our hymns of praise are to our God and heavenly King, not our earthly Queen, however wonderful she may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment