Sunday 1 April 2012

Tagged teenagers

When I started being involved in the youth club in September I was a firm believer in the value of structured activities, and concerned about their absence. But sometime over the past couple of terms I have been converted, not fully but very significantly.
I started from the principle of youth club offering something different to the street corner ‘hanging’, and I admit I was intimidated by the chaotic behaviour.  Last Friday watching 13-14 yr old lads playing something as basic as tag around the village hall site it struck me that this was possibly the first stage they have been free to find their own entertainment.
When I was at primary school we had weekends and holidays full of games in the street and around the estate – from tag to our own creative worlds. When we reached the high school we felt that we had grown out of such childish games, so it seemed odd at first to have reputation-conscious teenage lads playing primary games.   This week though it dawned on me that these were the same age as my nephew, a generation that spent primary years being ferried to organised activities rather than free to play out. Now they are older they finally have the chance to catch up.
If this is the way it is then it is important for them to have this space, to be able to run around chaotically somewhere.  Not wildly, I have my limits as do the village hall neighbours! And I still believe in the benefits of having things they can get involved with, be it the karaoke machine or craft, and hope to get a skate ramp building project off the ground.  But now I also see the need for the running around and childishness – they need that time and space. May find a use for the naughty step at times for some mind you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment