Thursday 7 November 2013

Compare the (ministerial) market - self doubt

I can handle being minister of little churches in rural communities, I like the fact that I can be a significant fish in a limited sized pond. (I remember that image being used for the speech as we left primary school – that we were going from being the big fish in a small pond to be the small fish in a bigger pond).  That is not meant in a pride or power way, but it does open doors of opportunity and a chance to engage even though I am not really a big fish.

Sometimes when I meet with other ministers in different situations, overseeing big church sites with major social projects and employees, I feel inferior. I am so far from the ability to handle and be what they need to be, and yet technically we are considered the same. We receive the same stipend, and at this time of year when a proportion of the Methodist ministers in Britain await the proposed matches from stationing (our sending process linking those due to move with circuits/churches with vacancies) I am aware ministers are essentially considered equal in the process, although as individuals.

Next year it could be me in the stationing merry go round – what if I were asked to do the sort of role some of my colleagues face in those big churches, and community projects?  I couldn't do it, and so when I hear about their experiences and issues I feel a failure as a minister because I couldn't do what would be asked of me in their place. In my head I know that is the voice of insecurity and the aggressive voice of depression – but the emotions are the same even though I know all that.

I am left feeling that I have an easy life with my group of churches, not that rural ministry and mission is a doddle, but compared to colleagues with many more churches, or the big scary project churches, it feels me-sized.  It is just that me-sized feels inadequate.  I am sure that they wouldn't ask me to do and be what I can’t – and not even due for a shuffle yet – but still feel inferior compared to others.



This was typed yesterday, today a chat with a friend also in the job, and also prone to the ‘useless’ voices from depression reminded both of us that we fit where we are.  Doesn't fully quash the doubts but makes them manageable.

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with similar thoughts, even about what I am actually called to do currently. Had a VERY bad wobble last week after a complex episode went badly wrong. Talked & prayed with new boss/co-line manager last Friday afternoon before departing for a week's (pre-planned) leave - amongst other things he wondered if I might consider that God had a hand in placing me where I was and equipping me/gifting me accordingly. Not quite the same as your situation, Helen; but when I get the wobbles or worse, I have a tendency to leave God out of the equation.
    Continuing to pray for you regularly. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. We are all in a similar place at regular intervals I think...
    I just wanted to remind you that God speaks and works through us (Jer 1.6-10), His power in our weakness...

    I know you know this, but I have been challenged this week that satisfaction and comfort is not what we were called for. This patch and job may be 'you-sized' but it's still not made-to-measure! Righteous anger and discontent keep us fired up to make a difference and change things :)

    I hope you don't hear preach, but simply encouragement from one struggler on the road to another...
    "Start with what is necessary, then do what is possible and soon you'll be doing the impossible" - no matter how big or small our 'impossible' may seem to others.

    And as a final, I just heard this and thought I'd share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn0RHh3BQT4

    Praying for you, and for all who are overwhelmed...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When those doubts come - go back and read your post about Celebrating the dream and see how much you have helped your people achieve :)

    ReplyDelete