Thursday 18 October 2012

And then God butted in....

A lot in my recent posts comes from very real tensions about how church is and how it needs to adapt to really scratch spiritual itches today. However there is also an element of personal angst about what it is to be a minister, to be me, in the midst of these tensions and frustrations. And as someone with depression battles from day to day to various degrees, is what I am doing worth the fight to get out of bed in the morning?
Tuesday on my day off the mood really got tough, and on the way back from the shop I went over to the parish church to pray. (It is open and isn’t full of reminders of issues and things to be done like in my own chapel). On the way out I met people looking for the vicar, basically looking for help. Real life issues.  Today, I have been involved in a range of situations whereby I as minister, or just as me, have been able to do something to support people. A taste of what this is actually about.
And ok so the questions about Sunday services, and what is an authentic way of learning and growing in faith together are still there and are biggies.  But today I have felt useful and doing ministry is a good antidote to the frustrations.
Beware what you ask for – you may find yourself in ‘interesting times’  

No comments:

Post a Comment