Wednesday 4 September 2013

To what am I called? Called to be....

I have been intending to get back to here for a while, life has been busy.  Summer events at churches, demolition and rebuild of a kitchen at one of them! Don't worry the professionals were involved so the new wall will stay up - but we are painting ourselves....   Then family visiting and wonder of wonders - I have excavated the archaeological site known as my office/study.  Many things were unearthed on the journey to find the floor and locate the desk.  I am now attempting to keep the clutter down by actually using it, rather than the rest of the house, so the chair can't be a dump zone as sitting on it etc.

From spending more time there I have rediscovered this piece stuck to the noticeboard. I wrote it back when I was in college training to be a minister, but during the difficult and painful year after my breakdown when trying to find if I could still be a minister, as far as God and the church were concerned and if so what kind of minister would I be whilst wrestling with depression.

I think it speaks to others in ministry too, of all kinds, and also to other roles of life with a change of a few words.


Calling

To what am I called?
    Called to be a minister
    Not to do ministry - though I will
In a hectic, speeding, work hard, play hard world
Called to be the stillness
To show another rhythm
Making God spaces.

To what am I called?
    Called to be a disciple
    Not to do churchy stuff - though I will
In a world that wants all the answers and wants them now
Called to be on a journey
            Following and learning
Step by step

To what am I called?
    Called to be - simply be
    I am not what I do - though I do much.
Whatever the world may expect or demand of me
Called to be who I am
In weakness and strength
In giving and receiving
I am God’s

H Roberts, May 2008,
‘Uncomfortable Presence’ conference on impairment in church life,
Sarum college, Salisbury

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. Meeting the DDO again next week and this really helps. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete