Wednesday 22 February 2012

Giving up......gaining control

It is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent, the formal start of the journey towards Easter. What does it mean to you? For my diary it means special Bible studies groups to plan for, soup lunches for Christian Aid fundraising, and a need to find time to plan all the special services. And somewhere in all that I hope to find time for my own spiritual reflections - indeed I must if I am to have anything to share with others.

Lent for many people is a time of giving up something - to fast or go without. Sometimes that can drift into a formal rule but the intent is one of sacrifice, of a commitment that costs - which is why going without coffee would be meaningless for me as I never drink the ghastly, nasty smelling stuff anyway. Others choose to make that commitment by taking something on. Either way it is about a change in the rythym of life that shows a priority to God in some manner.

I have friends who will be away from facebook for Lent, or giving up other time consuming temptations. I have chosen to give up alcohol. Along with chocolate, drinking is one of the common lenten fasts but I have my own reasons why I want to do this.  I have become concerned that a glass of red wine after a busy day has become more than one and nearly every night. I drink alone because I live alone but the warning sign is that I would be embarrassed if anyone knew, even fellow wine drinkers. 

I am not claiming the title but this week's Panaroma looked at 'Hidden Alcoholics'  and towards the end (26.40) one of the group commented that it was not the drunk but could be just two glasses a night if that is a need, and the challenge is whether you can do without it.  Lent seems a perfect time to take that challenge and try and break a habit that I have been increasingly worried about. I'll let you know how it goes on the other side of Easter.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to wish you well / I did a similar thing last year (well, to be honest, I tried to do something similar last year, for similar reasons) / I found it extremely difficult ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chas, coming home after church council tonight is a test, but making up for it in sugar!

    ReplyDelete